Saturday, August 11, 2012

Trailer Talk--"Oz the Great and Powerful"

 There's no place like....Oz?








                                         "Oz the Great and Powerful" is owned by Disney
                                                       Release Date: March 8, 2013


James Franco stars in this prequel to the classic "Wizard of Oz" as a hack magician who happens into a mystical land, only to complicate the lives of the three witches known as Evanora (Rachel Weisz), Glinda (Michelle Williams), and Theodora (Mila Kunis). As the magician tries to deal with his lady troubles, he starts down a path that leads him to his famous destiny as "The Wizard of Oz".

Although ScreenRant gave us that great synopsis above, here is the official one:
When small-time magician Oscar Diggs (James Franco) pulls one flimflam too many, he finds himself hurled into the fantastical Land of Oz where he must somehow transform himself into the great and powerful Wizard—and just maybe into a better man as well. 






The movie is directed by Sam Raimi (Spider-Man trilogy) who has definitely created Oz to be a place of color, wonder, and imagination. I know that it is 2012 and we have developed our movie making over the years, but it's kind of sad to see the Oz I once knew as a kid is all CGI. There was a certain charm to "The Wizard of Oz" that I feel like is going to be missing here (can you tell I don't like CGI?), but I don't think this will be a terrible movie because of it. I do like the fact that it starts out in black and white just like the old classic. Even though it quickly changes to the bright colors of Oz, it's still a great homage to "The Wizard of Oz". As for the casting....it's alright for my taste. As much as I love James Franco, I can't quite picture him being the Great and Powerful Oz. Also for the main leading ladies, I feel like the picks weren't good. Now I absolutely adore Mila Kunis, but after seeing her quick performance in the trailer, she almost feels out of place. Maybe things will be better once it all comes together. I, personally, can't see Rachel Weisz as being the evil, intimidating witch and Michelle Williams Glinda seems to be nowhere but like I said, this could change in the film. Even with the problem (that I at least have) for the cast, I still think this movie will be lots of fun bringing back great childhood memories (and maybe making some for the younger audience).

So what do you think? Are you excited to see how The Wizard came to be, or is this something that should just go somewhere over the rainbow?

ScreenRant has more on the topic (click the link below):

http://screenrant.com/oz-great-powerful-trailer-kofi-186952/

Feel free to leave a comment, follow, and subscribe!

Keep you guys posted!

~FilmFox

No comments:

Post a Comment